Tuesday 4 June 2013

sketchpad issues

I've only one brush for sketching, and it's cheap and fake, and I'm using it on a cheap and basic sketchpad. In a fit of fullofmyselfness, I decided I'd do so much better with some good quality  materials, so I  went off and treated myself to a Moleskin watercolour sketch pad. I hate it!!

 
The format is long and narrow, which is probably perfect for sweeping landscapes, but not so great for the shed in Dorset. But the main issue is that you can't at all seem to lift colour. Once it's on, it's on. I'd have liked to lighten/brighten the deck to the left of the shed, and pulled a bit of paint out of the shrubs, but it's ever so permanent.
I think it has made for a duller veg box as well, I'd have liked to lighten the asparagus:
 
 
 
 But on the up side, the study avoidance is going well:
 
 
I seem to have ferociously knobbly feet.
 
 
Lovely lovely weather,  I'm dawdling a bit too much time away on the patio.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Love the feet and bench! I bought a really expensive Fabriano book and it is just like blotting paper - I can't stand it! Maybe try just a heavyweight sketchbook, it will say on the cover that it will take light watercolour washes. They are great, the paper is lovely to draw on too. I am using a little watercolour book I bought 3 years ago in US interleaved with Seabright heaviest watercolour paper cut into pieces to fit the book. You have to order a fair bit with them but I get together with a couple of friends - it is very reasonabley priced.Hope this helps. Happy painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret, both for the compliments and the sketchbook advice. It's kind of funny buying and then hating the good stuff!! Especially when you convince yourself that with the good stuff great art will just naturally happen! I'll try and flake through the moleskin and then I think you are right, just a normal sketchbook will do me just fine.

    ReplyDelete