Thursday 14 March 2013

Forgotten which end of the brush to hold

It's been an age since I've managed to paint - so much so, both the brushes and myself have gotten old and stiff in the meantime. I had the essay from hell to write ( re the role of religion in the construction of political identities in Israel/Palestine) which entirely engulfed my life for the last few weeks... and now I'm free! Yipee! Well, for another week or so.
 
Nothing special. But it was nice to get painting again. I adore Hellebores but did it no justice. It's a wiper. I was happier with my sketchbook/watercolour attempt.
 
 
I've been trying to at least keep up sketching, it's nice to feel you are doing something a bit creative, or at least still looking and drawing. Doing it has made me realise just how much my life revolves around the kitchen.
 
 
It also revolves around food - I've been charting the weekly veg box arrival.
 
 
What a narrow little life I lead! Which is not a complaint, it's just the way things are at the mo, study,family, food. Then some more food. Anyway it's cold and wintery. I  like having my sketchbook. It's something I've always meant to do, this time the commitment is lasting nearly to the end of a book.
 
 
The only other bit of oil painting I've managed to do is a copy. I tried to copy a Roos Schuring painting that I've got in one of her calenders. I think the way she simplified things and captures moods and weather is amazing. I thought copying would give some idea of how she goes about it.
 
 
And I did learn from the experience, I learnt I certainly can't paint like Roos Schuring !
Someday maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Your hellibore is gorgeous! Don't wipe it! Good for you doing all those sketches etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) To be honest, I wipe a lot of things, having them to keep isn't an issue at the moment - another handy board is!

    ReplyDelete